20090116

v20090116(old writing) My ESL Grammar List 3ed

20080619 The Present Perfect Progressive

The present perfect progressive says the action started happening before the time you say the sentence and continues up to the time of your saying it. Maybe the action stops just before you say the sentence and maybe the action continues as you say the sentence, or even continues after you say the sentence, but the main idea is that it starts before you say the sentence. Again, suppose it is 6 o'clock.

I have been computering for 6 hours.
( I turned on my computer at 8:00 am, I use computer continues up to now(2:00pm).

He has been watching TV for 3 hours.
(now, he is also watching TV)

Another way the present perfect progressive can work, if no amount of time is specified, is that the action occurred in the past and continued for some time and then stopped, but there is evidence at the time of speaking that the action did occur.


You've been crying, haven't you?

No comments: